Usable Lifespan (was Re: Confession time)

Thu, 15 May 1997 10:42:43 -0700

Avery,

Yes, as to the 4/0s.  I probably should also have said that I don't go
around replacing pinblocks just because I am restringing.  If things are
tight and stable with 2/0s, one could almost defy conventional wisdom and
use 3/0s - I've had only mixed success with this, so generally to the
double oversize and get it over with.

Also, recently there was some talk about reamers.  Personally, spoon
reamers seem to me to be (potentially) too unstable (e.g., too prone to
wobble during use).  Therefore, I use automotive valve guide reames.  These
are nominally adjustable, most have four reasonably parallel flutes and are
available from KD tools, at least, in a set of four which covers all of the
diameters we're likely to run into.   Used attached to my trusty Milwaukee
(which, at slow speed is rated @ 180 rpm) they leave a nicely finished
surface for driving and  tuning.

As with so much else, a very great deal depends on the circumstances of the
specific instruments.

Best.

Horace

>Horace,
>
>   Thanks for the post. It should very definitely come in useful. Out of
>curiosity, why not above 4/0 pins on a D, but yes on a B? I don't really
>like to use above a 4/0 anyway, but I was just wondering about the
>difference. Something to do with ease and/or stability of tuning in a
>concert situation maybe?
>   Thanks.
>
>Avery
>
>>        4.- When stringing, do not go over 4/0 pins on Ds (period, no
>>                negotiation) or 5/0s on Bs (and smaller, depending on
>>                condition of the block).
>>
>>Horace
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd