Damper Lifter job completed

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Thu, 15 May 1997 12:34:07 -0500

The damper lifter problem I mentioned in an earlier post was completed
today.  Since I had never done this repair before I enlisted the help of my
RPT friend Gino Bonfietti who willingly agreed to help because he had never
done this repair before either and was interested enough to help. Believe
me, it takes 2 to do this job and keep your wits about you.  We followed
Don Mannino's procedure to the letter and for the most part things went
smoothly.  The problem we ran into was tool-related.  I bought a 20-inch
long Phillips screwdriver just for this job and it was really of no help at
all.  The tool that saved the day was a 12" regular screwdriver with a very
narrow shaft and a 1/8"-wide blade.  Even though we were dealing with
Phillips screws, the blade of this tool was narrow enough to use on the
Phillips heads that mount the brackets to the lifter rail.

What we found when we removed the rail was that 2 of the 3 flanges had
broken tines at the center pin holes and the 3rd had a missing felt
bushing.  Fortunately I had matching flanges in my car.  The entire job
took 1 hour and 20 minutes and truthfully, I wouldn't want to do it again.
It was frustrating getting tools, hands and arms into the cramped workspace
and into the narrow openings provided for the flange/mounting block
assembly. Since this is the first time in 26 years that I've experienced
this problem, chances are that I'll never see it again.  We can only hope.

Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate it very much.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL