Used Yamaha keys -Reply -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 15 May 1997 15:35:24 -0700

Actually, I have made guitar and mandolin picks out of old ivorite.  Not
bad for the mandolin, but by the time I got it thin enough to sound good
on the guitar, a pick lasted about three good strums.  One possibility for
the pianotech with an entrepreneureal spirit might be making up action
models, using wippens and hammer shanks available from YAMAHA
individually,  and some old hammers from a previous job.  Sometimes we
even have a broken set of hammers and could supply singles, although
this is rare.  But PLEASE, don't leave the old Ivorite keytops.  If you
decide to make action models, use our regular white keytops, which we
will supply real cheap.  This use of old, but otherwise sound keys,  is
particularly appealing if you have ever priced an action model.  And,
hey, it's your chance to recycle!  Officially, of course, YAMAHA wants
these old keys returned to us to be destroyed. It will suffice to say,
we're not exactly inundated with them at present.
Steve Peason
YCA tele support