Hamburg D breaking strings?

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 16 May 1997 03:23:54 -0500

One.  Do you have a "pounding" tuner?
Two.  How many times have the strings been "leveled"?
Three.   How many other Hamburg D's of this vintage have excessive
breakage?
Or.   Since the two top sections have been restrung has there been
any more breakage.  If so go back to One. If no to one and two, how
much "dope" in the hammers?  What about the Capo bar?
RM
ps with all of the notebook tuning programs, is it possible to get a
wav of some of the notes of this D?

----------
> From: Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Usable Lifespan (was Re: Confession time)
> Date: Thursday, May 15, 1997 11:21 AM
>
> Horace & list,
>
>    In relation to this, could I have some input on the necessity of
> restringing our Hamburg D recital hall piano. It's now about 14
years old,
> and only the top two sections have been restrung (because of
excessive
> breakage). I feel that it is past time to restring the piano to
bring it
> back to it's fullest capabilities. This has been our primary
performance
> instrument ever since before I came here.
snip