ETD vs Aural

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 16 May 1997 14:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

Avery;
<<Does this mean that an ETD tuner wouldn't have to tune treble or bass
 octaves aurally at all on the test?>>
  Yes it means exactly that (my interpretation).  But isn't that one of the
benefits of using an ETD?

 "wouldn't this be an unfair evaluation of one's aural skills compared to
what an aural tuner has to do to pass?"
  Not in my opinion Avery.  This portion of the test is really transposing
and adjusting stretch and that is where aural tuners have to work harder and
ETDs really shine.  After all, the purpose of an ETD is to simplify tuning
for those who choose to use them.
  To quote Steve P. (a self confessed recovering aural tuner) "The
destination is what matters, not which path we took to get there."  and  "
The art of tuning is in the result, and nothing else really matters."
Jim Bryant (FL)
"I can't believe that I am supporting using ETDs, said he"