ETD vs Aural

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 16 May 1997 14:26:25 -0500

Jim,

   Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say, plus this comment I made
to Jim C. after his post on my questions.

   "I knew there was something I was overlooking. I'd forgotten what exactly
the ETD tuner had to do and also the sequence. I've helped give a test or
two, but it's always been an aural tuner.

Avery [who's not yet a recovering aural tuner :-) ]

>In a message dated 5/16/97 1:45:15 PM, you wrote:
><<Does this mean that an ETD tuner wouldn't have to tune treble or bass
> octaves aurally at all on the test?>>
>  Yes it means exactly that (my interpretation).  But isn't that one of the
>benefits of using an ETD?
>
> "wouldn't this be an unfair evaluation of one's aural skills compared to
>what an aural tuner has to do to pass?"
>  Not in my opinion Avery.  This portion of the test is really transposing
>and adjusting stretch and that is where aural tuners have to work harder and
>ETDs really shine.  After all, the purpose of an ETD is to simplify tuning
>for those who choose to use them.
>  To quote Steve P. (a self confessed recovering aural tuner) "The
>destination is what matters, not which path we took to get there."  and  "
>The art of tuning is in the result, and nothing else really matters."
>Jim Bryant (FL)
>"I can't believe that I am supporting using ETDs, said he"

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893