Sustain rods

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Fri, 16 May 1997 19:54:59 -0500 (CDT)

Robin,

I can't imagine the rod is bent. I'd check not only the hanger brackets, but the hangers too. I've found loose or broken ones. If the dampers lift in a uniform wave from the lever end first, try bending the hanger(s) nearest the lever out a bit (gently).
If you need a quick and dirty on a piano you don't feel warrants much time, it's worth a try. If you do try this though, be prepared to replace broken hangers when you find the cracked one(s).

Luck, Ron Nossaman

At 10:02 AM 5/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>A rather common problem around here is upright damper/sustain systems out of
>whack, the familiar uneven rise of the line of dampers. After tightening all
>relevant hardware (which doesn't usually help much) I regulate it. But I don't
>quite understand why this develops or how to fairly simply solve it other than
>by regulation.
>
>Removing the rods to see if they're warped might take quite a while; and if
>they are, what then, just replace and regulate anyway? Is straightening one
>of these rods practical? Or is the problem compression of the felt in the
>mounting brackets, which doesn't seem like it could account for all the
>out-of-lineness.
>
>Thanks
>Robin Fox

 Ron Nossaman