ear protection

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 17 May 1997 19:56:16 -0600

> > <<
> >   WallMart still has their 6 db ones in their Gun Section. The
> >   instructions say you can get two other sizes of inserts directly from
> >   the company. The size I bought (for $7) work well but the insert is
too
> >   large for my ear channels.

These earplugs you are referring to have a special diaphragm in them that
shuts down when loud noises (like gunfire) come in.  That is why they are
rated at only 6db.  They are dynamic and will attenuate much more.  Piano
strikes may or may not be affected, and may or may not work well.  I have
owned a pair of these for years (for shooting sports) but never tried them
for tuning.  I'll have to give it a shot (no pun intended).

Glenn.