Unisons

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 19 May 1997 08:42:09 -0500

Ken,

   Maybe it was also, partially, that that is what she had gotten used to
hearing because the piano wasn't tuned ofter enough.
   Maybe not in your example, but I *have* run across some pretty good
examples of "it's amazing what the human ear can get used to hearing!" :-)

Avery

>        I had a lady who complained that my tuning was too dull. What she
>wanted were unisons which were slightly off. I gave her a choice of one,
>two or three beats per second and she chose the two beats per second. I
>slowed them down in the tenor section and speeded them up a bit in the
>treble.
>        What a strange feeling it was to tune like that! When I got
>finished, she said, "It sounds worse but it's better. Do you know what I
>mean?" I wasn't sure I did but she was a happy customer.
>        When I played some chords on the piano it sounded strange but not
>really wild. I could understand somebody preferring that sound, at least
>for popular music.
>
>        Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893