Aural Pure 5ths Equal Temperament

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Wed, 21 May 1997 11:06:40 -0400 (EDT)

<< Next we will show some very simple practical ways of accomplishing
 this type of pure 5th tuning and at the same time keeping all the
 other intervals equally spaced (ie equal temperament). This next
 installment should appear tomorrow showing step by step tuning
 procedures.

 Jim Coleman, Sr.

Dear Jim Coleman,
   Thank you so much for your wonderful first installment of articles on pure
fifths temperament tuning. This is a very interesting subject with me and I
hope it enventually goes in the Journal as well.
   When I was at the Steinway factory for a voicing seminar in April we did
some tuning there and it was my impression that the Steinway Concert tuners
start streching the octaves right away such that the fifths end up being
pretty much pure and a fairly active fourth with a common top note. This
technique really seems to push the envelope as far as the octaves are
concerned and within reason sounds very musical. It sounds like what your
talking about is another step further in that direction. Interestingly, when
I was back at the factory I was told the kind of aggressive tuning techniques
used by the concert tuners for Steinway would probably not pass the Guild's
tuning exam at the RPT level. I like your term of the piano sounds more
exciting. Thanks again.
Doug Hershberger, RPT