ivory abrasives

Stephen Birkett birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca
Thu, 22 May 1997 13:41:00 -0500 (EDT)

I just tried the new 3M microfine abrasives on a set of ivories...seem to
work well and easy to use. These come in 3000, 6000 and 9000 grit or 15, 5
and 0.5 micron particle size. (9000 is equivalent to a sandpaper grit of
16,000 and gives a glass smooth surface...finer than the finest water
stone you can buy). The particles are electrostatically distributed onto a
mylar backing, in such a way that they stand on end, hence cut
aggressively. The mylar has PSA adhesive backing so you can stick it to a
paddle or plate glass sheet for honing and sharpening purposes. For the
full set of ivories I used only a couple of sq. in. of the 6000 (9000
seemed too smooth to my feel), so at $3 per 8x11 sheet it's pretty cheap.
Spit and beer for lubrication so there's no mess and you don't need to
take the ivories off the piano. You can get the paper from Lee Valley
Tools if anyone wants to give it a try.

BTW it's also superb for rubbing out a varnish to a high gloss.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228