S&S D --BROKEN SOSTENUTO STIRRUP

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Fri, 23 May 1997 09:23:34 -0700

I picked up a sostenuto lever from a "D" yesterday with a broken
stirrup, that D-shaped wire sticking out of the side of the rod to which
one attaches the pedal lift rod.

The problem occurred because someone put graphite paste (black, gooey
stuff) on the rod bearings and then added another piece of felt (thicker
than the original) around the original bearing felt and screwed
everything down tight.  Eventually it seized up.  Until I loosened the
screws, I was hardly able to turn the blade with my fingers at all!

It seems to me that the pedal rod worked the stirrup up and down until
it broke.

The questions I have are:

1.  What kind of wire or rod can I use to make a new stirrup?
2.  Is the stirrup press-fitted into the rod or is it braised or
something?
3.  Where can I get the wire or rod?

I've got some ideas, but would appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List