Metric Wire sizes

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Fri, 23 May 1997 11:41:55 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-23 11:06:31 EDT, atodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd) writes:

<<  Are you saying that Mapes uses the same as American wire, but just
 reduces the numbers by 1/2 size for metric?

Avery,

That's what Wayne told me they did. However, I asked his advice shortly after
we got the Hamburg which was in 1986. I don't know what they are doing now,
so you might want to check with Mapes. Wayne retired last year and I don't
recall who took his place.

I'm not knowledgeable in chemistry or physics, so I don't know the properties
of wire. I have heard there is a difference in tensile strength but, again,
it's beyond the scope of my brain. But, no matter where I get wire and
whether it's American or metric, I still mic before replacing just to be on
the safe side.

Gina

Gina