"rig" jobs,,was horror repairs -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 23 May 1997 14:50:45 -0700

How about the overdamped Scottish upright..you remember those
"birdcage pianos" ,I went to service many years ago...back when I did
such things. It  had a thick layer of fiberglass resin poured and
completely filing the tuning pin field in each section of the piano.  I guess
the previous tech figured his tuning was so good he wanted to
immortalize it.  I can say without fear of contradiction that nobody ever
paid a nickle to tune that piano again.  Less than an eighth of an inch of
the tuning pins peeked their little heads above the fiberglass.  "I paid
$1000 for this" mused the customer, "do you think I got a good deal?"
truth IS stranger than fiction
steve p