Subjects (was printing out posts)

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Mon, 26 May 1997 22:58:29 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/26/97, Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com> wrote:
<<It takes a little while, but for unusually good posts which I wish to
share with computerless friends I think it's worth it. >>

The other situation in which I find the hard copy valuable is when serious
reflection is required for a seriously long thread. That's I when print
out several pages on 11"x14" Canary yellow, and fold out the lawn chair on
the front porch.

But speaking about thread's, I download with the threads sorted
alphabetically. As the posts get pasted manually to my emailer (actually,
a parser or "pre-amp" for you hi-fi nuts), I skim them to pick and choose.
This thread caught my eye as does anything concerning what people do to
adapt computers to their own needs. But I couldn't find its beginning
until I actually got to reading the  "Leather Dye" thread. Warren, Dan and
Eddie (names changed where innocent need protecting <g>) had each tossed
in their ideas on saving these discussions to a shop manual, and it was up
to Susan to realise that the subject was no longer leather dye. Thanks,
Susan.

I bring the matter of properly titled subject up because my emailer has a
field called "Thread" which simply strips the "Re:" (however spelled) off
the Subjects. I assumed that everyone else's emailer does this titling
automatically. Apparently not, given the variety of spellings for the
given Subject, even after the "Re" prefix.

I'd like to request that if you're titling these subjects manually, that
you do whatever you can to insure the consistency on which continuity is
based. That ranks right up there with the reply which begins with two
yards of "<" (and "<<" and"<<<") and ends up with, "Great Post, Bob, my
sediments exactly, Don't great minds think alike, huh?" Also (while I am
it) whatever you may have thought of jptuner's blaze of methane at least
he ran it through a spell-checker.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
       Monty Python's "Life of Brian"