Aural Pure 5ths Temperament

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 10:38:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dr. Coleman
You replied......
"The perception may have something to do with the close unison idea,
but I think it has more to do with the better matching octaves,
especially the wider multiple octaves."

  OK I'll buy that.  The question came up during a tuning yesterday.  A long
time customer, who is a recording engineer, performing artist, symphony
player and one half of a very neat couple, had asked me to tune his wife's
Steinway 'L'.   This particular 'L' is about 12 years old, has had adequate
maintenance, and is a joy to play, tune, and listen to.
  Due to the fact that I had plenty of time to work on this tuning I decided
to try some of the alternatives we have discussed these past few weeks.  The
clarity of scale on this instrument lent itself to my experimentation.

  Starting with a very, very slightly stretched octave in the temperament I
strove to get the smoothest progressions I could as concerns single, double
and triple octaves, pure sided 5ths, slightly faster 4ths, etc..  I was
concentrating on my technique and not paying attention to anything else.
 Starting at the temperament octave and working out in both directions (not
my normal procedure).  I had worked thru the middle 5 octaves when the
customer, sitting in a chair across the room behind me said "Jim I don't know
exactly what you are doing but I like the richness that is coming out." (I
had not realized he was there until he spoke)
  Of course this led to a discussion of theory, as expressed in this thread,
and where this tuning varied from what I normally do.  Customers comment " I
really like the clarity of your regular tuning but I like this sound as well"
(slightly purer 5ths, slightly expanded 4ths, etc.)
  I am glad that this happened as my customer is very conversant with what he
likes and doesn't like and is comfortable with discussing aural perceptions
versus interval realities (and he does not tune).
  I had intended to go back and retune the piano to my "normal" tuning but
the customer asked me not to, in order that he could play on this one for a
long period of time and decide what he liked/disliked about it.
  The results were very close to what you describe and although some single
intervals do beat at what I consider to be an objectionable rate they fit in
well with the overall scale.
  No, I did not have my SAT so I could not take measurements.

I thought that due to this customer's unique set of abilities, perceptions
and knowledge his comments would be of interest as pertains to this thread.
Jim Bryant (FL)