j.coleman's stretch

rmartin21@juno.com rmartin21@juno.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 17:16:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jim
This morning i had to tune a 40 year old baldwin spinet. Using the FAC
numbers but
adding 1C to the A4.  At the risk of being the first cold blanket, I
found the bass really too wide for my taste. The rest of the piano,
though, boasted almost pure 5ths all the way up with good triple octaves
and single octaves that were certainly not objectionable. Probably i
could have programmed the F for a better bass.  My candid opinion,
though, was that i know i could have been a whole lot happier with an
aural tuning had i left myself more time. Couldn't ask the Mrs. opinion
since she had just started taking lessons and wasn't really able to hear
the difference from the previous tuning which was probably performed
aurally with the old 4ths and 5ths method and
really expanded octaves.

I am not giving up just yet, however, i'm going to try again with a
larger piano. Maybe
tomorrow.

Ralph Martin