CA glue quirk

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 17:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all --

I found out by accident that CA glue can work as an accelerator for white
glue, expecially when gluing cloth. They seem to work better together than
apart. I heard somewhere that CA glue was formulated for use in surgery as
an alternative to sutures, so it was designed to set up in the presence of
moisture and organic material. White glue qualifies as both.

When trying to quiet jingling pedal dowels in uprights, I like to put 2
bushing cloth "ears" through the hole for the pedal dowel pin; but I would
have to wait around if the action were out, or I'd have a terrible time
trying to clamp the ends together with clothes pins if the action were still
in. (read: "spinet")

I found out that I can put on the normal amount of white glue, press the two
cloth halves together to spread it out, let them spring apart, add a tiny
drop of CA glue, and _immediately_ press together again, with instant
bonding. I now use it that way for repairs where clamping just isn't
convenient or possible, with good results.

Hope it helps someone, some time, someone in a hurry, probably.

Susan

At 07:11 PM 5/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Horace;
>  I use CA primarily for two things.  1. Those times when the repair needs to
>be immediate as in "you have eleven minutes to pull the last  12 unisons out
>and repair that bass hammer that broke at the head"  2. I have found CA
>almost indespensible for quick fabriaction of one-time jigs and have quite a
>collection of one-timers that I should throw away. :-).
>  Other than those uses I really don't use CA all that much.  Ed certainly
>will never be able to retire from my purchases anyway.....   It is nice to
>have available and in some cases is a viable alternative to more traditional
>methods.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing
about."   -- Ashleigh Brilliant