Key and damper Leads

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 27 May 1997 23:42:11 -0400

Dear List.

I am working in a tropical country. Almost all the pianos here developed
problems with the damper and key leads somewhere between 20 and 30 years.
The leads start swelling and if not changed immediatley they´ll break the
wood around them. I was told it was a tropical condition, but I would like
to hear more about it.

I want to know who had simmilar problems, and if there is a way of stopping
the process.

For some unknown reason, Steinway is the most affected, followed by German
pianos, American pianos, and the least affected are Chineese pianos, and
Yamaha. (Being Yamaha one of the most sold ones, I only had two cases in
more than 20 years.

Elian Degen      degen@telcel.net.ve
Piano Tuner and Technician, Caracas, Venezuela