CA glue quirk

tcole@cruzio.com tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 22:42:47 -0700

Susan Kline wrote:

> Hello, all --
>
> I found out by accident that CA glue can work as an accelerator for white
> glue...

Susan,
I just went out to the shop to verify your discovery. I put some white
glue on the end of a strip of felt, folded it over to spread it out,
then split the halves apart to drop in some CA glue. After an immediate
closing of the halves, the glue hardened - probably took one or two
seconds.

To see what happened, I split the halves apart again and observed that
the CA had hardened but the white glue was still liquid. So, I'm going
to suggest that the _white glue_ is the accelerator for the _CA_.

In the latest handout that comes with shipments from Ed Dryburgh, it
states that bases act as accelerators (as opposed to acids or plain
water). Possibly, the pH of white glue is greater than 7.0.

I think it's a great idea to use where a slow setting glue is called for
and time or clamping is a challenge.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT