Others can speak too.

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 28 May 1997 11:02:38 -0500

	I think the complaints on the list about list content boil down to
two considerations.

	1. A lack of understanding of the nature of unmoderated listserve
type forums.
	2. A need for guidence in the absense (sic) of common sense or
experience in 		participating in these forums.

	In regards to #1,  what the complainers in most if not all cases are
really asking for is a moderated list.  That's where humans replace
the machine for collecting sorting and distributing all of the mail.
I am on a moderated list, and not one single complaint ever clutters
up the list. Well not enough to get upset.  On that list the
moderators enhance its quality and it happens in a reciprocal
fashion. There are other advantages as parts of it get translated
into and from four languages

	Addressing #2, perhaps a FAQ would help a lot of folks decide what
to post, how to post it, to whom and when.  If a FAQ were sent to new
subscribers, and posted every month or so (as necessary) this might
temper and guide some expectations regarding the "ideal" list. It
might be that some don';t realize the list doesn't have to come as
21-41 seperate pieces of mail each day, that the digest form arrives
each day as one email, which should greatly ameliorate the feeling of
"total chaos"  Here a FAQ would be helpful in explaining how this
works and how to get the list this way.
	Or people could use the FAQ for their own ends, by instead of
posting peeves to the list, post them privately to the "offender"
quoting the FAQ to illustrate the complaint. If you have ever tried
posting complaints privately, its really hard, and that's why I think
the clutter of complaints ends up on the list.
	Suggestions for the FAQ? nominations for a FAQ master??

			Richard Moody

		Problem:  "Test flight OK, except autoland very rough."
		Diagnosis: "Autoland not installed on this aircraft."

----------
> From: William C. Sadler <sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Others can speak too.
> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 1:48 AM

snip....

> Guys ......is it really necessary to respond to every fricken
> subject/question on this list.....snip.....do you not think your
thoughts have never been
> thought....this has become total choas...don't you think?????????
>
> Finally, don't you have some pianos to work on???????

When business is down for others, you don't need to rub it in.  (FAQ
# 101)