Electronic Vs. Acoustic Pianos

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 10:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Folks,

     Over the past few years, I have occasionally had churchs and schools ask
for my opinion concerning electronic keyboards vs. acoustic pianos. There are
many opinions about the subject....ummm... I have one around here
somewhere....ah!

Look;

     How long will that keyboard last? Will the electronics and goodies that
provoked the sale work for 5 years? Probably. Will they work for 10 years?
Maybe. Will they work for 20? Doubtful. Parts and service availablility more
than 90 days after purchase? The idea fades with each model change and
'feature update'. Most electronic repair these days is a case for swapping
out boards that have failed. Once the stock of repair-bits is
used/sold/distributed, there ARE NO MORE for that hoplessly outdated creature
(...that you bought last month), and it requires a genuine electronics wiz
(ie; A competent and trained person.) to identify the problem and solve it,
the local store rarely has one on staff (...never mind keyboards from K-Mart,
WalMart or from those racks seen at Safeway loaded with Casios!).

     My point is this; Tell the accompanist or the choir director that the
same thousands spent on a decent acoustic piano will get them an instrument
that will serve the congregation for the next umpty decades. Which is cheaper
in the long run? Hmmmm?

True?
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- Those that 'need' the goodies can do as well & better by purchasing a
MIDI capable piano and a decent 'Voice Box' with all the bells & whistles
they want to hear. Really.