Apology on not-so-clean unissons

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Sat, 31 May 1997 08:43:54 +0000

Dear list,

On a recent discussion about tuning unissons a bit off, I made the
statement that I could not see why one would not strive to make the
cleanest unissons possible.  Well, I have to take this back

I just worked on a 9 foot Schimmel which is a great piano.  However,
the pianist who rented it for a recording was not satisfied with the
tenor break where the first tenor notes had a fairly dull sound
compared to the full bodied wound strings.  The only way I found to
blend the section was to slightly untune few plain strings, not enough
to hear beats, but just enough to add some "ring" to it.  And I had to
dovetail by decreasing progessively this amount of "slighly outness"
on the three or four first notes of the tenor section.

Who could believe that unclean tuning can demand more care than Spic
and Span unissons?

Michel Lachance, RPT