World Class Junk

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sat, 31 May 1997 10:46:48 -0700

BSimon1234@aol.com wrote:

> This list seems to have an abundance of technicians who seem to, almost
> exclusively,  tune large Steinways and Baldwins grands every day.  That must
> be lovely.  I hope someone might be able to help me with a world class lousy
> piano.
>
> I have used a SAT for a number of years, quite successfully. Today I
> attempted a tuning on a 1965 Hallet Davis spinet. It reliably, repeatedly,
>  gave FAC numbers of 38.2 - 10.1 - 1.1.
   what would  you do with a piano like this?

Bill,

Part of your problem is that the SAT will not accept that high an F
number!  F=20 is as high as it goes.  If you are reading 38 and it's
setting 20, that's why you are getting wild octaves!  Of course, I have
one of the original SAT's.  The II's may be different in that aspect.

What I do in this situation is go back to the old sight-o-tuner
procedure of tuning to two octaves and a fifth above.  You have to come
out of your page into "tune" mode to do this.  The procedure is as
follows:

1. Use the FAC page you computed to tune about two octaves above the
break. Remute that area so you are using only the center string as a
reference.  Recheck the centers against the SAT for slippage.

2. Close the page by pressing SHIFT and then pressing TUNE until the SAT
resets itself, then press TUNE to get into TUNE MODE.

3. Whatever your first bass string is, play an octave above as your
reference note. For example, if your first bass note is E3, E4 is the
reference note.

4. Now set your SAT an octave and a fifth above that, or B5.

5. Play E4 and stop the lights with the CENTS button.

6. Without changing anything tune E3 to stop the lights.

7. Check it aurally.

8. Make whatever compromises are necessary to smooth things out.
Sometimes changes in the lower tenor area are necessary to make the
transition smoother.

9. Step the SAT down one note and complete the bass tuning.

10. Face the fact that some pianos cannot really be tuned!

Hope this helps,

Warren
---
Home of The Humor List