World Class Junk

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 31 May 1997 10:36:43 -0600

----------
> From: BSimon1234@aol.com
>

> attempted a tuning on a 1965 Hallet Davis spinet. It reliably,
repeatedly,
>  gave FAC numbers of 38.2 - 10.1 - 1.1.

Hello Bill.

The FAC setting will do that with spinets and cheap consoles.  I am going
to assume the F you measured was a wound string.  There are two ways you
can approach this.  First, you could use the "old" stretch calculation
described on page 34.  You set the SAT on F5 - tune F4 - octave up on SAT
to F6 - stop lights with cents button - roll shift-stretch button - let go
- hit stretch button again.  You now get a tuning that starts at C3 and
goes up to F6 (I think, can't remember at the moment).  You are on your own
with the top and bottom.

There is another way described in one of the appendices in the SAT II
manual where you "split" the FAC into sort of a "high-low" scenario.  I
don't think that would have worked on this piano because of the lousy bass.

Try the old stretch method with this type of piano.

Glenn.