Tuning Invention Idea

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 16:42:20 -0700

Phil,

I think that this can be done. The problem is with these pesky devices
called tuning pins which have to be "settled" in the pinblock if a
stable tuning is to be achieved. Were it not for the challenge of
micro-adjusting these gross contrivances, we would have an easier job,
that's for sure.

To enable a machine to adjust the pitch of piano strings, a different
tuning system would be required. Someone mentioned the Mason & Hamlin
screw stringer mechanism which required no tuning hammer technique
(which is possibly one reason why the idea was abandoned <g>). I once
saw a harpsichord that had tuning pins held by individual hinged plates
- after doing the basic tuning with a tuning wrench on the tuning pins,
you then refined the tuning by tilting the pins forward or back with
adjustment screws. One could conjure up other ways of adding a fine
tuning feature to pianos, much the same as "tuners" on the tailpiece of
a violin. For example, moveable agraffes or similar terminations under
the capo bar or moveable counterbearing points reminiscent,
appearance-wise, of the Baldwin SD-10. Look at the key-changing gizmos
on a concert harp for another idea.

If you wanted to have a piano that could tune itself, you would need to
re-engineer the tuning system as suggested above. As for a tuning
hammer/SAT rig to use on existing pianos, though, this is another
matter. Anything's possible, of course, but even in the Yamaha factory,
with all their incredible machinery, I believe they still use people to
tune the new pianos.

Thanks to tradition, people will continue to beat a path to our doors.
But don't let that stop you from dreaming of a better "mouse trap".

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA