Tuning Invention Idea

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 19:03:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Lance Lafargue wrote:

> O.K. my 2 cents..  To set the pin, what if the device pulled the pitch
> above "x" amount(with hundreds of tiny mechanical pulls), then very tiny
> taps were made on the pin while hammer blows were made?  I don't think you
> could ever use a device like this in the home nor would it work for fine
> tuning(?), but in a factory situation, or warehouse/storage situation,
> maybe.  I know we're all hissing in the wind here, but if you would have
> described a Disklavier to me 15 years ago, I would have just smirked.

All this talk about inventing a device to tune pianos when interfaced
with a computer misses the obvious answer. George Steck spent the last
years of his life trying to invent a piano that would stand in tune in-
definitely. Unfortunately, he died before coming upon the solution to
the problem that I have. Simply tune the piano once and then WELD the
pins to the plate! Those babies will surely never slip again. Of course,
that means that we're all going to have to add a welding torch to our
tool kits, but at least it will be tax deductible. As far as I know this
idea has not YET been patented, but as I reported here a couple of years
ago, I HAVE seen piano where this was actually done!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net