Buffing Keytops

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 22:03:40 -0400

For years I have used the following for buffing keys.

A belt driven arbor.  There are several available from the catalogs.
Get one that has ball bearings instead of bushings.

Four 8" buffing wheels.  I have two others to use when buffing metal.
The stitched type, bot the solid felt type.

A common motor, electric, from 1/2 horse or larger.

Drive pulleys have to be worked out so the speed of the wheel will not
burn plastic or celluloid.  You may have to play around with divverent
pulleys to get just the right combination.

ALso available from the supply houses are buffing compunds, one red the
other white.

Keytops, including ivory, can be can be sanded to get scratches out of
the surface. Sanding requires several steps to a wet or dry 400 or 500
grit before sanding.

Use the red compound on one wheel and buff until a sheen appears.  Care
must be taken to prevent the wheel catching a corner and flinging the
key across the room.  I have broken more ivory that way.

Use the white on the other wheel to bring the shine to whatever sheen is
desired.

With a little practice you can have very shiny keytops.

If there are further questions let me know.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com