A treble in trouble

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 17:43:37 -0500

Andre and list,
   Perhaps you can help me with this problem.  I service a Steinway M that
was reconditioned with new pinblock, strings, hammers, etc. by a reputable
rebuilder whose credentials are immaculate.  The piano is in a Church. The
rebuilders are located an hour's drive from me and I am their technician in
this area.
   Each time I show up for a tuning I have to give the piano a pitch raise
because it is at least 8 cents or more flat.  I tuned it not quite 2 months
ago and 2 days ago it was 7.8 cents flat.  It has received 8 tunings since
its reconditioning.  Other pianos rebuilt by this firm that I have serviced
have held pitch very well.  No problems.  I suspected the problem to be
plate flange to pinblock fit but the rebuilder claims his men were
meticulous in fitting the new Bolduc pinblock.  I am going back Tuesday
(10/28) to take some measurements and to check the pinblock fit to plate. I
wriggled underneath the piano to check the soundboard and ribs and saw
nothing suspicious.  The rebuilder suspects that perhaps the dampp-chaser
heater rods are not the correct wattage. Is there anything else that I
should check that would cause this problem?  I would appreciate any
suggestions.