Pinblock Epoxy Help

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 14:48:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Avery.

Boy, working on a Sunday, don't you EVER get a break? Don't get upset,
but I wonder about your decision to reuse the old pins. Why not replace
them? I'm ASSUMING that the pins and block WERE affected, too. If not,
you COULD have replaced the bass strings without completely removing the
old pins and then pre-coiled the new strings and just slipped them over
the old pins. Afterwards just zapping them with a shot of CA. If you
suspect that SOME water DID get to the block, I think I'd pull the
old pins, dry out the block, ream and varnish the holes and then repin
with larger pins. HOWEVER, I haven't seen the piano. You have. I'm sure
you have good reasons for selecting the approach you did. I think if you
read the directions closely on the glue, you'll find that it doesn't dry
to full strength for 24 hours, even though it dries to a preliminary set
in five minutes. Give it more time and I think you'll find the pins tight-
ening up nicely for you. I can understand your concern  right now though.
Geeze, you'd think that the guy who's willing to work on a Sunday wouldn't
be forced to sweat the small stuff, huh? I hope it all works out for you
okay.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net