A treble in trouble

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:48:09 -0700

David M. Porritt wrote:

> I rebuilt a "D" this Summer and it was finished in September.  I was
> able to get very good stability in a couple of weeks.  I gave a key to
> my shop to one of our best pianists and he practiced on it every day.  I
> tuned it nearly every day.  I really believe that stability comes by the
> number of tunings rather than time.  By putting on a couple of years
> worth of tuning in a couple of weeks, it has become very stable quickly.
>
> dave
>
> David M. Porritt, RPT
> Meadows School of the Arts
> Southern Methodist University
> Dallas, Texas
> .-

Dave,

I know what you mean. Whenever I put a new string on a jazz club piano
that I tune every week, the tuning stabilizes after two or three weeks.
But I don't believe it's the number of tunings that achieves the
stability. I am more inclined to think that it's the hard blows in
between tunings that accelerates the stretch.

I like your idea of giving a key to the pianist so that both the tuning
and regulation could be stabilized before the piano leaves the shop.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA