separated back

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:28:00 -0600

>>...Please correct any of the following, which outlines what I would
>>probably do:
>>1.  Let the tension down (is this necessary?)  2.  Shield the piano
>>interior from dirt.  3.  Work slow-setting epoxy into the crack as much
>>as possible.  4.  Pull the top together with 4-5 huge clamps which I
>>need to buy somewhere.  5.  Remove the plate screws across the top edge,
>>to be replaced with carriage bolts.  4.  Drill through the entire back
>>to take carriage bolts big enough to do the job (what diameter?).  5.
>>Insert and snug up the carriage bolts, remove the clamps, tune the
>>piano, and that's it (or should I wait a couple days for the epoxy to
>>work?).

I have had a few technicians tell me that carriage bolts would probably not
work as well as regular bolts, due to the fact that they might possibly
lose their bite and turn around in the relatively soft wood when tightened.
I think I would consider using a type of bolt which would allow me to put a
wrench on both sides of it, thereby increasing its effectiveness. You can
countersink the hole in the back to prevent the bolts marking the wall and
also put in a washer for greater stability, if you wish.

Good luck.

Regards,

Tom Seay
The University of Texas at Austin