Perfect Pitch Update

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 21:13:07 EDT

<< But of course we must remember the orchestra plays in a different
 intonation than Equal Temperament. Perhaps the difference were hearing
 just intonation compared with ET. Or did they stray?.  One cycle two cycle
 per second, or three?  >>

Heaven forbid that you even think that way Richard!  Everyone know that
orchestras always play in ET.  Everything is always ET.  It is common practice
and common law!  No one ever strays.  If they do, then they are just out of
tune and unprofessional, otherwise it is always ET.  Yes, there is tonality
and color and vibrato in what they are doing too but it is still ETand perfect
ET too.  ET has been universally accepted ever since Bach invented it and
wrote the ET Clavier Music to prove how good it is and so we don't even need
to think about those nasty sounding old HT's, especially MEAN tone.

Your tuning has to be right at A-440 everytime too, Richard.  Right on the
money, no deviations are ever permitted.  Perfect ET and perfect pitch.  Those
are today's standards.  If you can't do that, you might as well give up and go
into Band Instrument Repair or something.

Of course there are times when you'll have to tune the piano at A-444 in
Marpurg I just so the pianist can't really hear the piano, but be assured that
it will still be at A-440 and in ET even though you had to do what only a real
concert tuner knows how to do but that no one else would understand.  If your
piano goes out of tune though, don't worry, know one will ever know but you.

Regards,
Bill