String leveling as related to tuning

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 06:58:50 +0000

Hello List
   Fast test blows help level strings?   My older brother Les who served
as a CTE for years says that the hard hitting tuners have the clearest
sounding tunings but are not always the most accurate. Some tuners use
deficient test blows and pass the stability and accuracy tests just
fine, yet their tunings typically don't sound very clear. He did some
experiments using an ETD and tuning with various speeds of test blows
and concluded that much lighter blows than those of the exam testing
device gave stability.  This should have blown our theory about test
blows and stability, except real life experience shows the opposite.
Owen, Les, Myself still beat the strings up pretty good before were done
using fast hard double striking test blows.  Could the gain of fast test
blows simply be very level strings which translates to clear and
consistent sounding unisons instead of greater tuning stability?
-Mike Jorgensen