Scaling & Parsons scaling program.

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 01:08:18 -0500

What I like about spread sheets is that you can change any parameter you
want and see the results across the board.  This is made easy because
formulas can refer to individual cells, so changing the value in a
particular  cell will give the corresponding changes for all that you are
interested in. .
	Also they are easy to debug.  the main problem is getting the formula
right. And most of the problems come from not knowing the correct notation
. So the tension fromula from W.V McFerrin for wound wire looks like
f^2*L^2*d^2*s*(.00320)  (metric).  So if cell A1 contians the value of f,
and A2 = L, and A3 =  d, and A4=s, formula would look like
A1^2*A2^2*A3^2*A4*(.00320).  Of course we could put .00320 into another
cell and substitute that cell reference into the formula.  The s in case
you are wondering....... (as if,, somebody is actually following this):)
is a value for the combined density of copper and steel.  A1 = 7.05  which
increases .01 each note up. F (note #33) = 7.33.
	Spread sheets are great for calculations such as, suppose I want to use
aluminum instead of copper. The s then would have a different value, but
since that value can be inseted into a cell, that is all the change that
is needed to calculate for aluminum.

	Also for checking the formula's validity or accuracy.  Since frequency
doubles every twelve steps, one could have a column for freq to see if it
was actually 2 times over in the 13th cell.

	If you want, I could make up a spread sheet in Quatro Pro but in 4.0.
The later versions of course would have to open this.  It would take a
couple of hours so the value would be.umm.... since I got hooted at for
charging $30 per hour for rudimentry technical services I should  easily
double that.  But considering this could be billed as engineering
consulting, that should be $120/hr for trade school level at least.  If I
had a BS math it could go twice that, but never mind, I don't have a BS
math. But a discount is due for those on this list, in consideration for
all the free advice I have gotten.
	Ooops I said free, so free it is for the asking.  And keep in mind that
this is also a "pass it on" because individuals on this list have given
their time at times to some of my special problems, (techinical that is)
(Thanks a million for the snail mail you all)  and because of this list I
even got a one on one tuning evaluation from a very famous Guild member
and esteemed member of this list.  That alone is worth $300 to $600
depending on what I can quote in my resume...  should I need one since it
is all by word of mouth anyway. (as far as the "top" is concerned.).
	I can also do a sheet in MSWorks which can be imported by a host of other
spreadsheets.

Richard The Gracious

----------
> From: Rolland Miller <rmiller@EN.COM>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Scaling & Parsons scaling program.
> Date: Friday, April 10, 1998 6:45 AM
>
> Hello list,
> I plan to replace the bass strings on a "modest" grand piano in the near
> future.  In the past I have used scaling spreadsheets made up myself
using
> either the Al Sanderson or Dave Roberts formulas and Quattro Pro.
However,