hard pounding

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:17:10 -0500

If I may add, this "bumping up and down of the pin"  is the best
indication of if the string is RENDERING. Thank you Jim Bryant for
bringing us back to this word.  I capitalize that because  that is what my
teacher said , in effect, the setting of the pin depends on how the string
renders.   He would say from time to time, "This string is not rendering"
and give a test blow to prove it.  Then I would tune it, and he would give
a test blow to prove it again.  Through this I became aware of how to find
strings that were not "rendering".  It involves the "bumping up and down "
of the tuning pin Bill Ballard mentions.
	In a nutshell, if the pin is bumped up and no change  happens, the string
is not rendering.  That means no matter what you do, for that particular
string, sooner or later a hard blow will dislodge it.  Hopefully it will
be later depending on what you do.

Richard Itsalwayslater