Hammer Techniques

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:05:29 -0400

Bill Young, started telling me, "Listen, just go tune a thousand pianos
and then come back and ask me that question!"

I dislike that type of answer; it indicates a lack of knowledge and and
understanding or thoughtfulness.  I know because I was subjected to the
same responses and from my students the same form of questions.

I published an article in the PTJ 12/69 that addressed pin setting.

If you understand the procedures you go through:
	Turning the pin instead of bending it
	Pin twist and lateral deformation
	Tension equalization
	Sensing the pin through the hammer
	Aderse condition fo tuning pins and pinblocks
then it is possible to formulate a response to such questions.

One further comment.  I intend to acquire an impact tuning hammer
because I think it will make tuning 1098s a little easier than with a
conventional hammer.  COntrol, technique and results will be different.

Any good teacher will stop and think, "Exactly what am I doing?", then
break it down into smaller and smaller units until a complete image is
formulated so it can be conveyed to another person.

Telling anyone, even a child, "You'll know when you get there" is an
abragation of responsibility.

Just my opinion.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com