Hammer techniques

Ed Guerra edguerra@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:55:46 -0500

Hello, my name is Ed Guerra.  While I was working at UT at Austin, I had to
tune several 1098s and i found that at first it was very hard to keep these
pianos from going sharp.  But as the years past I found that they started
to respond better.  I also found that if I placed my tuning hammer at 11 or
12 that I could controll the tuning pen and turn it much easier.  This was
due to several tunings.  I also found that if tuned these pianos using my
left hand I had better controll.  This of course comes with a lot of
practice.  I know that I would not have been able to do this if I had not
worked at UT for 15 years.  Of course it did not take me 15 years to learn
this, but having to tune these pianos so often.

I hope that this will be of some help to some of you.

At 09:59 PM 4/14/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>Speaking of special techniques for special occasions, I seek the collected
>wisdom of the list. How in the heck does one rassle a 1098 into submission?
>What are your favorite tricks for taming this beast? My Army unit,
>The United States Army Field Band, located at Fort Meade, Maryland, is about
>to acquire two of these puppys, along with a D and a B, plus a model K.
>
>Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>
>Ray Irving
>Baltimore Chapter, PTG

Ed Guerra