..the proper procedure..

Gilreath Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:23:15 EDT

Phil,

Basically your looking at the same problem that sales people face.  In broad
terms, you need to meet the people, find out if there's a need and see how you
can fill it.  While word of mouth, in my experience, is the best form of
advertising, marketing yourself and your skills is part of your job as a
business man, not a disgrace to a professional.

A few thoughts:

Check with the guys on the CAUT list.

Work up a resume to present.

Put together a packet of information using your own materials, PTG Technical
bulletins, Dampp-Chaser materials and other assorted items to present your
capabilities and services.  Chuck Cook, in the Atlanta chapter, has a folder
of materials that he gives to each new client as a means of education.  My
store has a number of handouts to go along with the factory materials that we
give to each new piano customer.  (I still have to point out that the keys
should move when you press the left pedal on the grand and which prop matches
which lid cup!)

Connect with the teachers and see if you can pick up their home or private
studio instruments. Be attentive, prompt and professional and they're almost
sure to give you at least a second look.

Also, be aware of the image you present everytime you deal with someone.
Wearing a tie doesn't hurt.  Carry your tools in a professional looking case
(not the tackle box from Wal-Mart - sorry if that offends anyone.)  Wear a
labcoat when working in dealer's showrooms.  In other words, look and act like
a professional rather than a laborer.

Feel free to email me or call if I can be of any further service and I hope
this gives at least a few ideas.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.