Hammer Butt Alignment

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:45:26

Greetings Ted,
               Another wise approach, as usual. I have always done the job
from the bottom up, using a rubber backed  metal clamp to trim the shanks
to the correct length.
  From your post I'm a little unclear about your wooden strips. Is this
engineered, so that the tail of the catcher rests on the lip of the groove?
  I like the idea of slow setting glue, it gives some working time, I think
most factories use your approach of pre hanging hammers, with varying
twist. Pencil sharpening, or tappering the bottom of the shank. (Which I
don't like) Seems to give some inconsistent wood tone at times!!!!
  Remind me to pick your brains next week at Banff, I'll bring a good
bottle of single malt as shared payment.

Kind regards, Roger