Fire damage

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 23:28:52 +0000

List,

Went to look a 100 year old Steinway upright, model K, that I
tuned a few years ago but was recently in a fire.  It was a mess
with lots of veneer lifting etc.  It was rosewood and now looks
more of an ebony color.  My first reaction is strip off the
veneer and spray in black...the insides are surprisingly in good
shape although the strings are showing some red rust.  My
question is can the veneer be repaired after it has had some
intense heat and water exposure?

Thanks in advance

ilvey
Pacifica, CA