Timber used in a Vertical

John Woodrow woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:30:45 +1000

List,
A discussion is currently taking place on Dejanews regarding the quality of
timber used in a Charles Walter v's a Yamaha upright.  The discussion is
along the lines of CW uses superior timber so is therefor a 'superior'
piano.  This generalized discussion of the quality of wood used in piano
manufacture greatly interests me.

I was under the impression that the case assembly of a vertical had very
little, if anything, to do with the sound quality.  Recent articles in the
Journal have challenged the 'hard maple' theory of grand rims, along with
other 'truths' such as the number of gain/inch of soundboards, etc. etc.

So in order to try to make some sense of all of this, I would appreciate
any help to improve my understanding of what components (other than the
obvious soundboard) in a vertical does timber 'quality' affect tone, and why?

Regards,
John Woodrow