Kimball console dampers

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 01:21:50 -0500

First wiggle or try to wiggle the bottom of the bass action standard.  If
there is any kind of movememt or it is not centered on its support stud,
(it can miss it completely) fix that first.

If this Kimball has the famous Kimball action standard
screw-to-plate-spacers,  what ever the heck that set up is called, loosen
the screws and note whether they are bent. Sometimes they are but not to
worry yet.  Loosen about one half turn, and "shake" (jiggle) the
action.then push it flush against the spacers. The dampers might magically
line back up. If not look and see if the spacers have been "re-arranged",
some of them are different lengths in some pianos. If that is the case
figure out what the right arrangement is.   When tightning the first screw
 if it is bent just a little,make sure it doesn't throw the action to the
left or right when tight. Shouldn't the screw be straightened?, yes if you
took it out, alllll the way out.  Those puppys are long.  The screws don't
have to come out unless the acton comes out, or the spacers have to be
switched around.
	This sideways mis-alignment you noticed can be caused by the action
especially in the bass section sitting too low.  This will make the
dampers appear to the left of the strings.  It appears more pronounced in
the upper part because they are wedge dampers on bicords as opposed to
umm.... that damn name again,,,, well the single string dampers won't
appear as far off as the bi-cords.
	However for this conditon to be the cause of the problem, entails a whole
slew of other problems, like negative lost motion, (you know exactly what
I mean, right?) (if this occured after the factory) strange clunking
sounds when the damper pedal is depressed, etc.
	Also possible is that the action foot missed the action support on the
bass end.(The capstains on a direct blow action (console right?) have a
lot of leeway.)
	But the BIG question is, are the dampers working?  AT ALL?  If so don't
worry about it.It is good to notice  though, you can point it out to the
client and be like the doctor, "If it starts giving pain, give the office
a call." Because if you have to mess around with the standard support
stud, (what a word) or the action to plate spacers, and forget to  check
the tightness of the damper flange screws, and also the head set-screws,
you have only cracked the lid of Pandora's box.

Richard Moody
ps...The action standard to flange-rail screws should be tight.  But don't
tighten these until you have determined that the action bracket and
support studs alignments and settings are correct.