Coil tapping

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 01:44:15 -0500

As not unusual, I think I am missing something here.  Coil tapping.  OK, I
give up what is coil tapping?   Tapping with what?  I know how to "lift"
coils, and I know about snugging the becket bend with plyer tips wraped
with masking tape, and I have  tool I made from a screw driver with the
last 3/16" of the tip bent 90° that works better than a coil lifter in
tight places.  But I don't tap with those, I use a T handle and loosen the
tension, then lift.

Richard Wonders
----------
> From: Marvin McDonald <pianomarv@earthlink.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Coil tapping
> Date: Monday, April 20, 1998 10:04 PM
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:
>
> > To All:
> >
> > Coil tapping is usually taken care of at the factory. All good
rebuilders
> > do this routinely because they know that this will save them several
> > rough tunings. The technician in the field should not have to do any
> > additional coil tapping on well made pianos.
> >
> > I have a 25 year old Baldwin SF10. I lightly tapped two pin coils.
Nothing
> > changed pitchwise. Perhaps there might be some change on a very new
piano
> > but I don't have one available just now.
> >
> > Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> Jim,
We almost always find that we have to tap the coils in
the