Funny Tuner Stories

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:46:29 -0700

PianoTex:

Back around 1980,  Andre Previn was interviewing Oscar Peterson on PBS.
They were discussing (the incredible) Art Tatum, and Peterson told Previn a
story that he'd heard from Tatum.

It seems that Tatum had been persuaded to go to a club to see some up and
coming young jazz pianist.    Whoever this guy was, he struggled mightily
with a grand that was in awful shape-   horribly out of tune,  keys that
wouldn't play, etc etc.

Tatum was quite impressed by the pianist, so much that after the set, he
sought out the club owner, and said to him "Listen, that boy is really good,
he has a lot of talent."   (Pause, and then, in an accusatory whisper):
"Now why don't you get that young man a decent instrument?"

And the club owner said:  "What are ya talking about?  I just had that thing
painted last week!"

Alright, it  isn't exactly a funny *tuner* story.  So sue me.

Tom Myler
"Well done" is better than "Well said"