Old lead/swelling in keys prob

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:58:21 -0400

>Hello list,
>I am working on an old grand action about 1926 in which the key leads have
>swollen to the point that they interfer with the adjacent keys.  I can file
>them down or replace them.  Any suggestions welcome.
>Thanks again, Rolland Miller, RPT <rmiller@en.com>

Hello Rolland.

I work in a tropical country, were there are very few piano tuners, and I
have this problem at least twice a month in my shop.

What you get there is corrosion, that happens not only because of moisture,
heth and moisture help, but you also get a reaction between the lead and
other atmosferic components, once it statrts you cannot stop it, so donīt
bother filing,  they will grow again in a pretty short time. so donīt take
risks, change.

Elian Degen

Piano Tuner and Technician, Caracas, Venezuela