What is perfect pitch?

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:27:23 -0400

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Is it:
>
> 1. The ability to name the pitch (or deviation from a pitch) of an isolated
> note played by an instrument long after any previous note has faded from a
> normal pitch memory, or obliterated by a period of "white" noise.

..yes..

>         1.a. The ability to name the key signature of unfamiliar music.

..yes..

> 2.  The ability to generate a given pitch, again isolated by time, by voice
> or  instrument.

..yes..

> Problems:
>
> What tolerance can be given?  Within how many cents must the generation (2)
> or recognition (1) be?  If tolerances are too close, then variances between
> temperaments will alter the results.  If they are too wide, the exercise
> becomes meaningless.

..the word *perfect* is where people like ourselves have problems..I've been
*tested * too many times to tell..if someone plays an A on a piano that is 30 cents
flat, someone with *perfect* pitch shoul be able to say..Yes, That's an A, but it's
a little flat..same goes for the sharp side..

> 2. - Pitch generation is probably for what those tuners who claim they've
> developed perfect pitch would be most easily tested.  I personally don't
> claim to have PP, but after 24yrs of tuning I can usually set A440 within
> about 5cents w/o a tuning device.

..can you hum a D# before you do that?..

..this subject has been beaten around here before..the word *perfect* is where
people get hung up..and I don't blame them..I have Perfect Pitch, but don't tell
Larry Crabb that, 'cause there ain't so such thing as **perfect**!!