Acetic Acid - Use in pianos????

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:25:58 -0700

Question for all you chemical wizards out there.

When I enherited this position at the university, along with other
"interesting" disoveries I found a huge jar of "Acetic Acid" among the
piano supplies; approximately half of a large one-gallon glass bottle.
Apparently the former and now long-gone retired tech used it for
"something" relating to pianos. For disolving glue perhaps???  Anyway,
reading the warnings on the label in conjunction with the skull and
cross-bones, I began to wonder what possible use one could have in piano
technology for this stuff.

I did a quick internet search and found a WEB page that discribes all
kinds of data, including it's highly corrosive effects on metal and
organic material. It also mentions using gloves and a resporater when
handling it. See the following if you must:
http://ntp-db.niehs.nih.gov/NTP_Reports/NTP_Chem_H&S/NTP_Chem6/Radian64-19-7.txt

Anyway, I was about to call the chemistry department and see if I could
find a grad student who wouldn't mind coming over and getting this stuff
the hell out of here before the damn bottle got broken. (I opened the
top and the fumes nearly knocked me to the floor). But then I thought
perhaps there might be some kind of legitimate use that I am
overlooking? I can't imagine what, but the former tech MUST have been
using it for something. (I can think of a few pianos I'd like to dunk
into it). Anyway, does anyone have a clue what one would want to do with
this relating to pianos, or should I get it out of here quick?

Thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona U.
Flagstaff, AZ