What is perfect pitch?

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:47:03 -0400

Is it:

> 1. The ability to name the pitch (or deviation from a pitch) of an isolated
> note played by an instrument long after any previous note has faded from a normal pitch memory, or obliterated by a period of "white" noise.

Dear Conrad:

The above is the meaning applied to this pitch memory in the small town
where I was raised. I was taken to many small School PTA's where people
would play different notes on the piano to see if I would err. I also
was taken to the high school where the band director tested me with many
different instruments (I was in fourth grade, so he made the necessary
allowances for transposing instruments).

Where it is valuable for me is in rehearsing vocal music. I'm not
interested in all the other aspects of it you raise. This sense of pitch
is simply a part of me that functions as easily as do my lungs when
taking a breath.

I tune using the Reyburn Cybertuner. I was trained aurally, but that is
fun for me to use.

I'd be glad to converse with you privately on the matter, so as not to
waste bandwidth.

Dan Hallett, Jr.
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net