even more perfect pitch

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:42:56 EDT

Bill;
 The following is from the Journal Science.  Can I stop now or need I keep
 going?
Jim Bryant (FL)

PERFECT PITCH AND SUNDRY SYNDROMES

Writing in response to a report in Science by G. Schlaug concerning the
brain asymmetry observed in musicians with perfect or absolute pitch*
(SF#99), O. Sacks expands the domain of the phenomenon to include other
human talents. Sacks says that perfect pitch, though common in
musicians, occurs only in about 1 of every 10,000 people. Among the
autistic, however, the incidence rises to perhaps 1 in 20. He next moves
on to "savants;" that is, individuals with exceptional mathematic,
mechanical, musical, and artistic talents, but with serious deficiencies
in other human attributes. Calculating prodigies and other "idiot
savants" immediately come to mind here. Sachs claims that perfect pitch
is is even more common among the savants. In fact, all muscial savants
seem to have it. Perfect pitch is also common among those with Williams
syndrome, which he defines as:
"a -- syndrome which predisposes to hyperacusis and exceptional
development of auditory, musical, and verbal skills, combined with
striking visual and conceptual deficits."

(Sacks, Oliver; "Musical Ability," Science, 268:621, 1995.)

******** A person with perfect pitch can identify a tone without needing a
second tone for comparison. SF#99 = Science Frontiers #99.**********